Monday, October 19, 2009

Recessiotarian Journal: Weekend Edition


Recessiotarian Weekend:

You may have noticed that the whole past week I got pretty gastro-economically lucky in my freeloading experiment, what with conferences, connections and generous third-wheel "dates".

But the arrival of the weekend always brings
the temptation to indulge in social eating and drinking. That combined with losing the week's work-sponsored events meant that my mission got tougher.

To keep costs in check, I mostly dipped into the food I had bought with my communal group, for instance lunching on some granola with milk , fruit, and cheese at home on Saturday.

But then, on Saturday evening, Judaism came to my rescue. I went to a party in honor of the Jewish holiday Simchat Torah and had a free meal of delicious veggies with humus, fruit, chips and salsa, yummy pretzel twists, and other goodies. Metzuyan!


On Sunday I had some fruit for breakfast, and then splurged on a bagel and salad (shared with the lovely AT) for lunch at 'Snice in Park Slope. In the evening I made a communal meal with my kitchen group - mediterranean pizzas with feta and goat cheese, spinach, mushrooms, and lots of garlic, on whole wheat flatbreads, accompanied by a big fresh salad; fresh applesauce with leftover apples from last week's shop and brownies with peanut butter chips. Delectable and, because it was shared between the six of us, suprisingly cheap!

And so ends my guest appearance on The Recessionist. I hope that you've enjoyed hearing of my exploits, and possibly have even learned something - that is, besides the sad fact that the culinary life of a broke recent grad is a redundant, sneaky, and less than healthful affair. It may be all these things, but it is at least never boring.

Till next time, Recessiophiles!

2 comments:

  1. Hi There, Thanks so much for leaving a comment on my blog www.spitnglue.com. About the "Kreativ Blogger" award. If you go to www.samwich365.com there is a post about it there. However, I have to tell you that I'm a bit of a novice blogger, so when I was nomintated, I went thru all of their steps, only to realize I hadn't really checked Kreativ Blogger out. One step was to nominate 7 of my favorite blogs, one of which was yours. If you don't do it, I'll understand and apologize for just jumping off before I checked on them. Sincerely, Keri

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Recessionista - heads up on a great bargain and a dating event! On Sunday October 25th, come to the Bell House for free beer from 7:30-8:30 and a dating auction of eligible New Yorkers. You could win great prizes like $200 worth of makeup from MAKE UP FOR EVER, $100 Fresh Direct certificate, and more. Buy tickets now on www.bellhouseny.com

    ReplyDelete